Mark DeVine joined the Beeson Divinity School faculty in 2008 and teaches church history and doctrine. He is the author of Replant: How a Dying Church Can Grow Again, Bonhoeffer Speaks Today: Following Jesus at All Costs and Shalom Yesterday, Today, and Forever . He has written extensively for theological journals and contributed to Evangelicals and the Nicene Faith, Evangelicals Engaging Emergent and The Disciple’s Study Bible. DeVine writes on the intersection of faith, work, culture, and politics for the national online magazines, The American Spectator, American Thinker, the Federalist and is the author of The Other Six Days blog. He has served as pastor for churches in Indiana, South Carolina, Kentucky, Missouri and Alabama. From 1998 to 2000, DeVine served as a missionary in Bangkok, Thailand. DeVine speaks and preaches regularly in churches and serves frequently in interim pastorates. He and his wife, Jackie, have two grown sons.
- M.Div., Ph.D., The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
- B.S., Clemson University
- Shalom Yesterday, Today, and Forever: Embracing All Three Dimensions of Creation and Redemption. Eugene, Oregon: Wipf & Stock, 2019.
- RePlant: How a Dying Church Can Grow Again. Colorado Springs, CO: David C. Cook Publishers, 2014.
- Bonhoeffer Speaks Today: Following Jesus at All Costs. Nashville: Broadman & Holman Publishers, 2005.
Selected Articles and Book Chapters
- “Promising the Impossible: Baptist Covenants Then and Now.” Criswell Theological Review. Spring, 2021.
- “The Lord’s Supper,” A Handbook of Theology, David S. Dockery, Nathin Finn, and Daniel Akin eds. B&H Publishers, 2021.
- “The Dogma Lives Loudly in Everyone, Including Democrats.” American Thinker, October 3, 2020.
- “Princeton’s Woke Letter on Systemic Racism Backfires. The American Spectator, September 26, 2020.
- “Jesus 2020: Why Evangelicals Are Voting for Trump.” The American Spectator, September 13, 2020.
- “Drew Brees Involuntarily and Interminable Catechized by the Church of the Left.” The American Spectator, June 14, 2020.
- “Leftist Tyranny in Academia is Forcing Christians and Atheists to Join Forces.” American Thinker, May 30, 2020.
- “Sowell At 90. Isn’t It High Time More of Us Listened to This Man?” American Thinker, July 13, 2020.
- “An Unacknowledged Heritage” Worship, Tradition, and Engagement: Essays in Honor of Timothy George, Wipf & Stock, 2018.
- “Never Forsaken: Khessed From Genesis to Revelation.” Midwestern Journal of Theology, Spring, 2017.
- “Who’s Afraid of Church Discipline? Entering Forbidden Terrain in order to Recover a Church Practice. Credo, April 2014.
- “Where in the World Did All These Pentecostals and Charismatics Come From? The Gospel Coalition, November 18, 2013.
- "Total Depravity: A Biblical and Theological Evaluation", in Whomever He Wills: A Surprising Display of Sovereign Mercy, Matthew M. Barrett and Thomas J. Nettles eds. Founders Press, 2012.
- "Can the Church Emerge Without or With Only the Nicene Creed?" in Evangelicals and Nicene Faith: Reclaiming the Apostolic Witness, Timothy George, ed. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2011.
- "Emerging or Emergent?: Questions for Southern Baptists and North American Evangelicals", in Southern Baptists, Evangelicals, and the Future of Evangelicalism, David S. Dockery, ed. Nashville: B&H, 2011.
- "Faith and Works", Holman Christian Study Bible, 2010.
- "The Emerging Church: One Movement, Two Streams" in Evangelicals Engaging Emergent: A Discussion of the Emergent Church Movement, William D. Henard and Adam W. Greenway eds., Nashville: Broadman & Holman, 2009.
- "The Enlightenment and a Turning Point" in A Question of Power: A Study Guide for the film Theologians Under Hitler, Steven D. Martin, editor. Nashville: TN: Vital Visions, 2006.
- "The History of the Christian Doctrine of Humanity", The Disciples Study Bible. Nashville, TN: Holman Publishers, (1988).
- Evangelical Theological Society
- Society of Biblical Literature
- Center For Baptist Renewal
- Oikonomia Network
- Hunter Street Baptist Chruch